Paddle boards represent an entertaining option for everyone out there. This is one of the fastest-growing water sports, yet its benefits and uses go way beyond relaxation and fun. More and more people rely on paddleboards to fish – they are easy to control, comfortable and wide enough to take fishing accessories too.
Sure, finding the best fishing paddleboard on the market will not compare to having a boat. A paddleboard is not as spacious and may not go too fast. But at the end of the day, it is relaxing and comfortable, while going home with some fish will add to the actual experience. Furthermore, fishing paddle boards are not loud, so you are less likely to scare fish off.
Now, what are the most important things to look for in a fishing paddle board and what are the best selling options out there?
Factors To Consider When Buying A Fishing Paddle Board
If this is the first paddle board for fishing you buy, knowing what to look for will lead to a more informed decision.
Construction – inflatable or solid
The actual construction makes all the difference in the world. Inflatable fishing paddleboards are usually made from multiple layers of PVC. They have lots of woven fibers on the inside to keep the unit together. Once inflated, they feel as hard as solid boards. However, since they are mostly filled with air, they are significantly lighter. They are easy to transport too – just throw it into a backpack and hit the road.
Solid boards are a bit different. You can find them in a plethora of materials. Some of them are made of plastic, while others come in wood or fiberglass. Epoxy fiberglass is just as common – dense foam core covered in fiberglass for rigidity and strength. This type of board is more stable than an inflatable alternative during winds. Plus, it does not require inflation.
There are two standards you need to consider when it comes to sizing.
The volume is one of them. Choosing the right volume depends on a few factors – your experience and weight. If you are a beginner, look for two times more than your weight in kilos. If you are a more experienced user, multiply your weight in kilos by 1.7. Finally, if you are really advanced and you know what you are doing, opt for your bodyweight in kilos multiplied by 1.3. The volume is given in liters.
The length is another important consideration, as it will affect the overall experience, especially when maneuvering the paddle board. The less you weigh, the less length you require. For instance, if you are average and weigh between 175 and 200 pounds, your board can be anywhere between 11’7” and 12’7”. If you weigh more, go for more – your options will be a bit limited though.
There are two general types of hulls out there. The planning hull is wide and flat, so the paddle board looks like a surfing board. It is easy to maneuver and keeps the paddle above the water. This option is more appropriate for fishing, yoga or surfing.
The other type of hull is the displacement one. The bow or nose is pointed. It is quite sharp and looks like the nose of a kayak. It cuts through water and makes a faster choice. It is mostly recommended for racing and long camping trips. But then, many fishing enthusiasts opt for this design to reach certain areas faster, rather than wasting time.
There are more things to take in consideration, but not as important as the above mentioned factors:
- Proper clothing
- Storage and transportation
Now that you are aware of what to look for to find the best fishing paddle board, what are the top-rated products on the market and why?
Top 5 Fishing Paddle Boards
Roc Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Boards
- Winter Sale !! Roc Paddle Boards Premium Inflatable Paddle Board is Made Of The...
- Our Extra Wide Design Creates An Incredible All Around Board for All Skill Levels....
- Our Premium Paddle Board Package Has Everything You Need To Enjoy Your Day On The...
- USA Company!! You’re Going To Be So Satisfied With Our Boards That As A Thank You...
Roc’s top fishing paddle board is available in four different designs – black, green, blue and pink – and features an inflatable profile. In other words, it is easy to store (just make sure it is completely dry), pack and transport – toss it in a big backpack and you are ready to go.
Made of durable military grade material, the board is also lightweight and easy to carry. It is wider than average, so your skill is irrelevant – 32 inches. It is six inches in thickness and 10’5” long. The maximum weight capacity goes up to 275 pounds.
The package is complete – you can take it out of the box and go fishing. You have a paddle made of alloy, a leash, waterproof bag for your cellphone and keys, a large backpack for it and a pump.
- Full package
- Textured surface
- Extra wide
- Easy to put together
- Pump seal could be better, as it might leak occasionally
Atoll 11′ Foot Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
- NEW 2019 isup package comes complete with : extra tough isup travel bag, ultra-light...
- ISUP now comes standard with 4th generation black fiberglass isup adjustable...
- Sleek new upgraded heavy-duty paddle board backpack / travel bag (large enough to fit...
- 6 inches thick, 32 inches wide and 11 feet long, the perfect all around board. Tested...
Atoll’s best fishing paddle board comes in a full package that also includes a bag, a paddle, a leash, a pump and a fin. The fin is universal – easy to install with no tools. The board is made of military grade PVC, yet it is quite lightweight – 21 pounds only.
The paddle consists of three pieces, so it can be disassembled for storage. If somehow you lose the fin, you can buy pretty much any aftermarket fin to replace it due to the universal mounting system. As for the bag, it will take the entire package in. Make sure the board is dry before packing it.
Other than that, it is 11 feet in length, 32 inches wide and six inches thick. It is quite sharp and fast, but also wide enough to allow amateurs to go fishing without too much hassle.
- Can be used out of the box
- Available in more colors
- Universal fin mounting system
- Tightening the paddle after adjusting its length can be hard
SereneLife 10′ Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
- WIDE SUP DESIGN – The Serene Life stand up paddling board is 10’ long and...
- SUPERIOR MANEUVERABILITY – The triple bottom panel fins help board improve overall...
- NON-SLIP SOFT TOP DECK – Great for beginners, our paddleboard is made for early...
- INFLATABLE & PORTABLE – Take your paddleboard with you wherever you go! It quickly...
Measuring 10 feet in length and 30 inches in width, SereneLife’s stand up paddle board for fishing is wide enough to provide stability and balance regardless of your skill level. It features three fins on the bottom, which makes it even more stable, not to mention speeding, handling and steering.
The surface is textured and features a nonslip material. Again, it adds to your stability even more, but it is also great for beginners. Since it is inflatable, it is easy to store and transport. It also features a pump. The package includes a leash too, not to mention an oar pedal, a repair kit and a storage bag.
The paddle board is made of PVC. It is reinforced, so durability will never be a problem. It also comes in a few different colors.
- Wide design
- Three fins
- Stable and easy to maneuver
- Nonslip surface
- Wind could make maneuverability a problem
SereneLife 11′ Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
- EXTRA WIDE FOR BETTER BALANCE: Measuring 10’5 feet long & 30 inches wide, balancing...
- SOFT, STABLE & ANTI-SLIP TOP DECK: Perfect for beginners, we've upgraded this...
- BEST PADDLING MANEUVERABILITY: Outfitted with triple bottom panel fins, steering &...
- PORTABLE & INFLATABLE SUP BOARD: 100% travel-friendly, this unique SUP inflatable...
SereneLife is a top manufacturer when it comes to fishing paddle boards and its 10.5 foot front runner is among the top rated models on the market. It is 30 inches in width. Balancing while standing will never be a problem.
The unit is inflatable and soft. It has a nonslip surface to prevent falling, but it is also quite soft in case it happens. Just like other boards from this manufacturer, this one comes with three fins for maneuverability and steering.
The unit is travel friendly and features its own special bag, a leash, an aluminum paddle and a manual air pump.
- Easy to inflate
- Full package
- Nonslip surface
- Soft top
- Handle placement makes carrying it a bit difficult
Goplus Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
- 【Extra Durable】It is made of high quality PVC and constructed with drop-stitch...
- 【Multifunctional Use】This paddle board is perfect for all skill levels and suits...
- 【Exquisite Details】 It features durable top foam, non-slip grip and 4 point...
- 【Portable Paddle Board】Comes with a carry backpack, you can easily store and...
Made of top quality PVC and featuring a drop stitch design, the best fishing paddle board from Goplus is so stable that it can be used for a plethora of other activities, including yoga. It also has a bungee on the front side to grab it for safety.
This model is available in two different sizes – 10 and 11 feet. Both of them are lightweight and feature foam on the top, a nonslip surface and a four point mounted bungee system. It has a high weight capacity, so overweight users will also find it suitable.
The package is full. You have a bag, paddle, pump, repair kit and a fin. It also has carrying handles. The paddle is adjustable.
- Complete package
- Adjustable paddle
- Suitable for more activities
- Safe and secure
- Manual pump can give you a good workout
In conclusion, paddle boards are similar from more points of view. When it comes to their packages or sizes, there are not too many differences. However, the overall feeling, quality standards and small details tend to differentiate one from another. Choosing the best fishing paddle board should not be so hard if you check all the above mentioned factors. Furthermore, the top rated products on the market are there for some good reasons, so you cannot go wrong with any of them.
Also read paddle boardings tips, before you try it.